Road Safety Foundation - A34 statistics
A34, section M4 to M40
· This road is a trunk road (Highways England is the road authority)
· Section length 53.8km or 33.4 miles
· Number of KSI crashes in latest 3 year period (2012 to 2014) = 50
· 6 of which involved a fatality (so there are at least 6 fatalities on this stretch in this 3 year period)
· Out of the 50 KSI crashes…1 involved a KSI to a vulnerable road user; 17 were at a junction; 17 were run-off road crashes, there were no head-on crashes (the road is divided); 11 shunt/rear-end type crash; and 4 KSI crashes recorded as ‘other’
· All 6 crashes involving a fatality occurred in a 70mph zone
· 34 of the 50 KSI crashes where a serious injury occurred happened in a 70 zone.
· KSI crashes per mile = 1.49
· For our risk mapping this road has a KSI rate of 14.4 which equates to a band 2 (coloured yellow on our risk maps). Yellow = “low-medium risk road”. Note KSI rate is KSI crashes per vehicle kilometre travelled.
For details on the risk of the road, and the severity and distribution of the road, visit CrashMap (http://www.crashmap.co.uk/), a website designed to give public access to road safety data.